Friday, April 10, 2009

THE VIRUS ATTACKING CELLS.




The Senate has passed three different bills concerning stem cell research. The Senate passed the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act, making it legal for the Federal government to spend Federal money on embryonic stem cell research that uses embryos left over from in vitro fertilization procedures. President Bush vetoed this bill.
Then they passed a bill making it illegal to create, grow, and abort fetuses for research purposes. The last bill would encourage research that would isolate stem cells without the destruction of human embryos. Congressman Ron Paul introduced the Cures Can Be Found Act, with 10 cosponsors. With an income tax credit, the bill favors research upon nonembryonic stem cells obtained from placentas, umbilical cord blood, amniotic fluid, humans after birth, or unborn human offspring who died of natural causes.


I have a close friend who spent many years researching the genetic structure of both HIV1 and HIV2. As the primary elections began, he looked at me in a mix of fear and self-loathing as he stated, “I never thought I would say this, but I want to vote for Al Gore. I want someone who understands science to be running the country. I mean you can pass a law telling me I can’t research on stem cells and you don’t even fucking believe in evolution? We live in an anti-science religious state, man!” I nodded in agreement with the “anti-science religious state,” but couldn’t go as far as ever thinking I would vote for Al Gore.
Genetics does also hold gigantic implications for the progressive politics as well. The right does not hold a monopoly on a specific genetic-politics. We see this in debates over Genetically Modified crops, pharmaceutical research, health care and insurance coverage (specifically people getting denied health care for genetic reasons.) And we have started to see a reemergence of genetic inscription of race, which is apparent with GenSpec marketing race specific vitamins. Genetics are everywhere in politics today, but I want to think about a different way that genetics is being used politically.

No comments:

Post a Comment